Saturday 13 July 2024

Old Haunts

 Went a walk down memory lane this week. 

Well more like an amble down a few well known streets, where I once lived...

It started when an open invitation to stay with Kenneth and Natalie was accepted as a break away from my usual weekly activities. You know the regular swimming, crosswords, duolingo, reading my kindle and shopping in Morrisons.

Tuesday evening I was treated to dinner out at Crabshakk, Vinicombe Street, in Glasgow's West End.


Yes, that is how you spell it! I enjoyed a sumptuous meal of scallops, rollmops and crab fish cakes.. and yes I love sea food.

Not only did I enjoy the meal but I intend to go back and share the gustatory joy with a friend. 

So the visiting old haunts story started with the meal on Tuesday evening, as I once shared a tenament flat with friends in Vinicombe Street. 

We lived above the Hotspot, a local curry restaurant, which is no more as it was demolished and a modern building put in its place.

Modern Build

 Opposite the flat was a Picture House called The Salon. Andy and I, would of a Saturday night date, go for a curry at the Hotspot and then pop accross to The Salon to watch whatever two films were on offer. They were usually in the category of an A and a B movie. One combo I remember vividly, was 10 Rillington Place and What's New Pussycat! Odd combo, I know

Ah, to be young and in love... 

The Salon is now a restaurant and club... and looks very posh from the outside. But I have fond memories of inside...




I know, I know... it is a saga this month. Forgive me...

Wednesday morning dawned and I thought that I would take a short walk across the Botanical Gardens and peruse a few shops on Byres Road.

Well plans change. I entered the leafy walkway and considered my choices. Down the steps I went and was offered the Kelvin Walkway as an alternative route.

You see, I walked the Kelvin Walkway with a friend a few years back and if I walked to Kelvin Bridge I would pass Otago Street where Andy and I had our very first home...


 I told you it was a walk down memory lane. Well probably more a trudge, as it took a lot longer than the walk in the park that had been my intention. But I loved the Roots and Fruits association with the street where our married life had started all those many, many years ago.

There are lots of photos of my Kelvin River adventure that day but it is not necessary to share them all. This blog episode is a record of what happens when one changes direction. When one right decision leads to another path and a bucket full of memories flood back just like the River I walked along.

My days away were supposed to be R and R but were so much more. Thank you Kenneth and Natalie for helping me have a special interlude of reflection... and of course, the fabulous dinner at Crabshakk!

Om Shanti... peeps.

p.s. I returned the short way back through the Botanical Gardens after a shopping trip on Byres Road and sustenance to keep me going. 

Now don't judge me! I deserved it...


So much shorter on the way back...

The sun shone, the shopkeepers loved me... or so it seemed. 

Then maybe it was just my credit card.

I returned to K and N's eyrie. Well, their flat is on the third floor! and felt very satisfied by my day's trip down memory lane.

Happy with my purchases and content with my memories of many days of fun and laughter when Andy and I were west end dwellers, I was able to retire to bed with lots of blessings to write about and a blog to want to share...



No comments:

Post a Comment