Monday, 27 July 2026

Meditation

 Wow, it is nearly the end of July! We are now travelling into the second half of our annual calendar. 

Does it feel like the year is passing quickly, the months disappearing fast into the past? Or are you like me, endeavouring to live in a present timeline, focusing on the now, as invariably, future plans can go askew ... and the past has definitely become a different country for me. 

I wrote the following poem when I was learning just how askew life can go. My health had deteriorated drastically after succumbing to a chest infection that floored me while skiing in France. 

For two years I struggled with pain, fatigue and limited movement. Many of you know the story so I won't repeat it here but will focus on the incredible journey of self discovery I experienced through writing.

Not able to do much, meditation was one of the "tools" I used to experience my day to day living. It was a lifeline and writing about it started my deep delve into cathartic writing, specially poetry.

I was 38 when I wrote about meditation while sitting looking at the Clyde coast vista and I still feel the same way, age 74 about how powerful and healing incorporating meditation into your daily life can be. Every aspect of scenery can lift the spirit. However, it is up to us to find the one that suits us best.

This one is my favourite "go to" in my head and I love visiting it in reality... who wouldn't?

Castagneto Carducci

                                                                    MEDITATION

                As I sit and enjoy the view

                My ears hear the sound of the music that drifts,

                the bird song that lifts the pain.

                The refrain I am listening to clears the mind

                and I find joy expand by the splendour at hand 

                and this is thought of as noble and true.

                Why is it then?

                That the music within, 

                the chords that are splendid and grand

                are ignored or abused or refused

                so that very few, enjoy the view

                 of the internal, eternal land.

                                                                                                       by Eileen Auld 1989

Over the past 37 years I have written many, many poems. 

Some long, some short. Some good, some not so much, but all are loved by me, as they have helped me move forward in life. Not all of them are cathartic I am happy to say, but all of them are precious in their own way.

Perhaps, you are wondering why is meditation the topic this month and why am I sharing this poem? Or maybe you are not questioning, but just reading as a catch up into what I am getting up to!

The reason for the subject, is because Cuku's event for August is "Remote Parts". I have mentioned this wonderful Word of Mouth book club a few times and the subject this month is timely for me. We are being encouraged to bring along anything... book, poem, genre of choice that is related to solitude, which has brought with it a sense of self, related to one's circumstances.

This struck a chord... and oft I went down memory lane. Forever grateful for my two years visiting those remote parts of myself and integrating them into my everyday living.

Please remember that life's a journey and travelling to remote parts can be enlightening, especially those remote parts of the self...




    

 



No comments:

Post a Comment