Last month, was for me, all about reading and writing. No arithmetic, as such, I am pleased to say. Enforced leisure sometimes comes with its own blessings.
First of all there was a Tidelines event at the Harbour Arts Centre, Irvine with Val McDermid and Jo Sharp sharing their behind the scenes experiences of writing. 'This DOOR of the SEAS'.
I attended with a friend and Anne and I both thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Val and Jo's experiences in collaborating on a historical episode of Scottish history that been the victim of 'fake news' long before the phrase fake news was invented.
It is a fascinating story about how the Scottish nation were bankrupted by a well intentioned venture into the new world. I highly recommend this book both for the story and for its superb writing.
It is written in the form of letters home and transports the reader into that momentous and calamitous time vividly. So much so that you begin to wonder what other stories of the past have been altered to suit the purposes of those in power.
The phrase we are all familiar with is that the victor gets to write history. However to my thinking it should read as, the victor rewrites history and gets to ignore the truth. Back to fake news...
Next venture was to the Book Festival in Edinburgh. still not up for driving but recovering enough to take the train.
This time I am staying over with Grainne and attended a presentation on the first day by Howard Cunnell and Blake Morrison, entitled 'A Life Observed'.
I confess I didn't know who the authors were but liked the title and usually when I go the the Book Festival, I always attend at least one offering from names that I don't recognise. Makes my festival a little different and always enlightening.
The subject was writing a memoire of your mother, which both authors had done and obviously they were promoting their books. This time however, I chose not to buy. Not because I wasn't impressed by them, I really was, so much so, that I am thinking of writing a memoire of my own mum.
Told you that attending the festival can be enlightening!
One of my favourite activities is visiting the book tent for a browse. All the books from the authors who are speaking at the festival are there. Everyone knows that I can't resist buying a book or two when I am surrounded by so much talent. This time I went a tad off script.
Yep, that is the book I bought. Only perfect for myself who loves a good murder mystery and a sudoku puzzle.
My grey cells, little and large, are well and truly scrambled with this combo. I am still getting to grips with the concept but I am sure there may be some family members that will be borrowing it from time to time.
I should mention that it is quite large and very heavy so it won't be a travelling companion.
It reminded me of my Christmas present from 'Santa'. Every year Santa Andy would buy me a book and how he chose it was visiting a book shop and asking them for the thickest book in the shop.
I think it was to keep me quiet and to give him at least a couple of days of peace. So although it isn't Christmas, it is my birthday month. So, I decided to buy myself a birthday pressy of the thickest book in the tent.
Not sure if you can see how thick it is. But it really can be described as a tome or door stopper if you prefer. I was wanting to attend David Olusoga's chat on my second day and Marina Warner was on at the same time. What a quandary, I chose to attend one and buy the book of the other. It seemed the best option at the time.
I have deliberately photographed Sanctuary in my lounge, which has been a sanctuary to be over the past few weeks. Also in the background is my TV, that has been a great companion, my faithful laptop that keeps me writing, my CD player, yep I am still old school. Last but by no means least is my little altar that displays at various times of the year; crystals, inspirational books, cards and letters, flowers, plants and even the occasional photograph. Of course there is always a Buddha.
My last choice before heading home was to go to the Spiegeltent, where the top writers, leaders in their chosen field of literature, present their thoughts as well as their books. Kathy Lette was the author in attendance and was so entertaining that for 45 mins I thought I was at an Edinburgh Fringe comedy show. Not sure if this author is familiar to you but please check her out. She is a brilliant writer and a force to be reckoned with. My kind of gal .
Got a couple more links in the chain of recollections, good books and wonderful connections.
I was fortunate to be able to attend August's Word of Mouth Book Club, as I am now back driving. It meant that I could join those like minded soul mates, who love a good chat about favourite authors and discuss at length how Kirsty's subject matter strikes a chord with them.
Kirsty is the genius behind the WoM book Club and supplies us with a regular theme to stimulate our thought processes. Last month's title was Remote Parts and I have certainly been visiting some very remote parts of myself. The theme focused on the solitary side of life and moments of separateness. Examples could be on top of a mountain, a deserted island or even a cloistered existence. You can see why I responded to the subject matter.
Although I had been experiencing some alone time, firstly from a horrible virus and secondly from the rib tickling event, both events had isolated me to a certain degree but had also enriched me with support from friends and family. All of us need those connections. Whether it is good friend visiting or taking you to a Tideline's event. Or you making the effort to travel to connect with people that matter to you. Or even picking up a book and finding solace in someone's words that echo how you are feeling. All are necessary but perhaps not all at the same time.
Finishing with one of my top 10 writers, Marcus Aurelius.
"Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart."
To all of you who have helped me through the recent obstacles in my life, I am eternally grateful to the fate that brought us together.





No comments:
Post a Comment